Friday, June 19, 2009

Insomania!

So it started when I was in the eight standard. It would suffice to tell you that I had a certain exam, which I was really nervous about, more than usual, thinking how will I ever manage to finish off the entire course in one day. Put all this together and you get a sleepless 'me' tossing and turning in the bed till late in the night. And that it how it all began. After that there were several times when during exams I couldn't sleep till late. But generally, I would always end up ultimately falling asleep. But this time it got really late, I was on my bed sleepless and without relief till 3 or 4 (Don't laugh..3 or 4 is late for me..its freakin' next day!)..So I decided to take matters in my own hands and went on my quest for a solution. I sat searching on the internet (of course after finishing the course) for almost an hour on the examination eve. And these were the various solutions I came across:

1) Cure 1: Count sheep (Oh yeah, I've heard that one before..its gotta work!)....Observe them properly, every little detail (Ok so where do i start?)...its eyes, its wool, its legs, its small nose (wow..thats good detailing..oh k, here goes)..observe them as they hop right over the fence of your dreams (oh k, make them hope..hop hop hop!...).. Every sheep, some big and fat, others small and thin, observe it (oh k..wow..this is working..i think im sleepy..no wait..its just boredom)..And you'll eventually fall asleep before you even know it (umm..I don't think so..I've been at it for like forever..how many of these things are up there anyway..gosh! its like a factory ................................................................................. Oh k..I give up!)

2) Cure 2: Go to your happy place (The what?!)..Happy place? You don't have one/ (umm...no!)..well then lets create one for you (sure thing, whatever helps me get some sleep)..Lets see, what would you have as your happy place (ooh.. I disneyland?! Good one huh?).. We know, a peaceful quiet meadow (umm...not really!..but oh what the hell).. Imagine a green peaceful meadow (oh k).. Observe the silence (what?! how?!).. You are standing right in the middle of it (oh k.... I am!).. theres a stream flowing through the meadow (A stream in the meadow!? What?!)..or maybe the mountains, where you can feel the soft breeze flowing through your hair (Are we there already..its gettin kinda boring)..and you are in a boat (Where the hell did that come from?!)..and you're rowing (Fine Row Row Row!)..and you're rowing (Yes i am..and nothings happening)..you are absorbing the peace and tranquility (not quite)..and you're rowing (Thud!)..and you're falling asleep (no I'm not!)..and you're almost asleep (Get out of my head!)....

3) Cure 3: Now this one was the funniest..........Cant sleep? (Yeah).. There can be various causes of insomnia (ahun ahun)...the most common is Anxiety (yep yep..you got that right!).. We have the perfect solution for you (yey!).. All you need to do is get rid of the anxiety! (huh?1..what?!..of course I need to do that..but how?!.... Wheres the rest of your help!)

4 comments:

Punvati said...

Hahaha I love the 3rd one :D so you can sleep after the exam :P

I like the get out of my head bit :P

If you read my blog u know I had this problem too.. BIG TIME.. Pain in the ass no? :D

Adhirath said...

Yep...I can sleep after the exams...on other days, its not even there...I'll give you that..its a BIG pain in the arse!..you can't bloody sleep..and imagine for me, who doesn't even want to study in the night!
But oh well, only two more years i guess and then (hopefully) this menace will be forever out of my life.

Unknown said...

There is one cure that always works for me... I convince myself that I have to stay awake and sometimes, I try to study. Within minutes I am fast asleep...

Try it...
But then, my brain is easy to trick... I hope your brain is equally gullible... :)

Unknown said...

well i liked the 3rd one it actually makes sense in ur specific case get rid of the anxiety wud mean finish the course what else do u think all of us are trying to do each night before the exams ... when u think we are trying to study thats not the case we are actually trying to sleep but the leftover course keeps us up ... ;-)

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr