Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Mumbai-aaaaaaaaaahhh! Part 1: Home Alone

Hello everyone! (by every1 i mean the jobless few who have the time and patience to read MY blog, which is probably the most inactive blog ever made!)..so first of all, I'd like to thank all those who despite the extreme boredom find the strength to come n see if theres ne new post!..

So anyway...this post is about my recent adventure trip to....to...to.....wait for it.... MUMBAI!..adventure y?..ask those who know me...rotting all alone in a city larger than all the cities i've ever visited put together (exaggeration has always been my favourite) was nothing less than..lets say a footloose on the Himalayas!..won't say it was bad in toto, i mean i learnt a lot of things, one being that im fully capable to rudely pushing my way into a jam-packed local train!..i definitely had some great experiences..some life threatening (thanks to divi, i almost landed right at the centre of the THUNDER!)..some great laughs (ha ha...they'll come in due time)..etc. etc.

but the best part about the trip was me discovering myself....u know what they always say: you can't REALLY know someone unless you spend time with them all alone!...thats what this trip was all about for me- me n myself. Not that i had much of a choice!..

ok so this is how it starts...flashback!.......


May 4th 2008..i rush out of ma house saying the normal ta-tas n bye-byes while seeing my granma cry like i was going for war or something..when suddenly dad asks "u shud take some more money with u"..so we make a quick detour to the ATM..withdraw some cash..and god bless my dad for that cos had we never gone to the ATM, my parents wud have never asked me to hand over to them the ticket while i withdraw without which i never wud have realised i never brought the ticket..so we make a quick rush back home..get the ticket..see my grandma cry a bit more now that she had seen me return and was almost hopeful that i had decided to cancel the trip but was disappointed!....while i (like always) went on blaming mum n dad for not reminding me....i reach the airport (luckily on time)..do a lil time pass (oh k fine!..so maybe a lil before time)..and fly off to the MAYANAGRI!..the city no doubt looked like a dazzling dream from up there..lights all around..skyscrapers (remember the exaggeration?)..everything very welcoming!

well..that was a bang on start for me!..now a lil background here wud be very helpful about my accommodation plans..i was supposed to be putting at a certain Mr. X's place (name altered for secrecy..secrecy becos im gonna be doing some serius bitching about the place)..he has this lavish villa in our city with nice cars n all!..so i was full on in dream mode thinking that his house in mumbai wud be just as much luxury..as it turns out, i was quite wrong!..

so i get down from my flight...ahh...mumbai air (salty i tell u, even the air)..i am nicely under the impression that nothing cud possibly dampen my spirit and excitement..haha..
i take a cab (who i still think had robbed me..it cudnt possibly be 250)....tel him the address and recline nicely awaiting the dream house..the sight was indeed enticing..i sit mesmerized as gorgeous sub-urbs pass by..but funnily enough, they seemed to be getting worse!..hmm...suspicious...there were times when there were one or two umm rather formidable areas..but they wud always go away and bring back the beauties!..but this one time the taxi just stopped at one of those dingy areas where u really wudnt wanna get down out of fear! (ahem ahem..please remember, this was only my initial experience..as it turns out eventually..the people and the place were pretty gud)..and he says "aa gaya sahab"..that did it!..i cudnt recall having had something to eat for a long time but my throat still seemed to be choked with something..i think it was my heart!..so newase..i had to be strong...i get going...then comes the great dream house..a building that luked like the 1st ones ever to be erected by the BMC..i had only heard of such buildings and seen them on TV but never thot id stay in one..i tuk a deep breath and ascended the flight of stairs..ohk 3rd Floor..and there it was..the flat..i tuk the keys and cudnt open it for half an hour..aparantly, as it turned out, there was a special technique to open it (check list item no. 1: learn this technique lest sleep in the corridor)..i tuk one final breath and stepped in..and woah!..the flat seemed to be ending before it even started..yet again, my friends had told me about such compact apartments..but they sounded so much better in description..they kinda sounded cute..but this one surely wasnt!..the worst part was it had not been in use so had very less of the stuff we call homely..but Mr. X's son was nice enough to call me and drop by and luking at my terrified expression he offered me the other flat [for just a few days]..i dint hesitate for a second (its funny how in such situation we always tend to totally forget our manners)..but i dint care..this was the first time i was ever away from home-alone!..

the other flat was very warm, homely and welcoming..so that tuk care of the first night..but as days passed..a constant lurking fear descended on me: im gonna have to leave this apartment and go to that box soon....but that worry will have to wait!..as for that moment..i had bigger issues in my mind: my first day of office...(coming soon)

3 comments:

Punvati said...

Hahahahahaha! Yes u exaggerate wayy too much..
1- aww ur grandmom sounds adorable! :( poor thing :)
2- yes, the thunder wud definitely hv killed u. I'm so glad u dint come on it!
3-stop robbin dialogues frm munnabhai and continue already :P

Punvati said...

U forgot ur tickets?! How filmy is tht.. :P

Adhirath said...

he he...well..divi..my grandma is indeed adorable (i luv her)..thanks for disclosing to my audience (which is basically only u) what the thunder pun stood for....and i did not take ne dialogue for munnabhai! (offended!)
newase..if u liked this one, perhaps ull like the rest!

 
Header Image from Bangbouh @ Flickr